The Most Iimportant Right

Today is election day. If you haven't done so, go vote. Trust me, the most basic of American rights may not seem important, until you lose it.

About a decade ago, I had a raging drug problem.  It progressed as you might expect, and I ended up doing a couple of years in prison. When you're convicted of a crime, the first thing they do, is take your right to vote. I've alway assumed that the reason for this is that since you've committed a crime, you decision-making abilities are therefore suspect.  Of course there is the fact that there are many politicians out there whose decision making abilities resemble that of someone who is mentally ill.  They also have committed crimes on a scale that most of us have neither the will or the resources for.  These are the people who write laws. It's up to you to call them on it.

I'm told I can get my civil rights restored.  It is, unfortunately, way above my price range.  My experience in prison served what I assume was it's intent, and I've lived an exemplary life since, I think.  I don't even jaywalk.

But none of that matters. Because money is now free speech, and that freedom is now being held for ransom by the state.

There are millions like me, and that number is growing every day.  So, go vote. Because, trust me, you don't want to spend the rest of your life on the outside looking in, with a blog that few people read as your only voice.

No comments: